Saturday, September 25, 2010

WK 4 Reading

I loved the section that told a children's story about a girl who was in second grade and came to school with Leukemia and was wearing a scarf to cover up the fact that she lost her hair.   The kids snatched it off of her head and laughed nervously.   This could have been a disaster for weeks to come, but the teacher intervened and turned it all around.   As the book stated, she reframed the meaning of the child's strange appearance and released the girl from her new identity that was created that day.   She came in the next day and had shaved her head and showed that baldness could be a possibility or an act of choice.   Some of the children went home and wanted to do the same.    What this showed me was how important it is to take situations we are all faced with and change the outcome.   The teacher could have just punished the students who laughed and there would have been more problems.   But, instead she took a tough situation and made it better by showing them a different perspective.   Too many times we look at things as black and white and don't realize that gray is not always bad!

2 comments:

  1. Lori:
    I think the teacher did a really courageous thing by showing the students the choices people have. I have a niece who has cerebral palsy and walk funny with braces. As we walked in a city park , I a person said loud enough for her to hear, they shouldn't let people like that out in public. I can remember a time before she came into my life that I to had often thought something along that line. However she is a very bright and enjoyable person to be around. She endured a lot of pain and rejection growing up. As I work with these special ed children after knowing her, I see them all as special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Margo in the teacher's courage. I often wonder whether I'd step up under the same circumstances. Being real can be so powerful without calling attention to itself. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete